Sunday, May 3, 2009

…the art of digging…

found a music store to explore at the recommendation of my friend Pancho...
Did some serious damage to my bank account in a short span of time
Spent an inordinate amount canvassing a collection to expand mine
Its never a good thing to walk into a record store armed with plastic
Standing before a pile of sounds, some of us tend to go spastic
I have a problem, this I know
But every DJ i share tables with is chasing the same flow,
The same haunted feeling
The sense that the perfect mix is out there waiting for you
That every record store is a collection of priceless moments & opportunities
A spectrum of infinite possibilities
Waiting for you to spin them
Weaving together sounds
Around and around
I stumble across a glorious new track
Opening up entire new avenues of dub to attack
This TREASURE I’ll be bumping through speakers till the end of my days
In my experience,
gambling on random compilations in record stores pays…


here’s a sampling of new acquired titles:
Habitacion 312 – Nacho Larache
Elecro Jazz Divas (Vol II)
Acid Cabaret (volumen uno)
V de Vendetta: 12 Records
Creamfields Adalucia ‘06
Afro Dancefloor
Soulwax – The Remixes
Ibiza House (a 2 Euro bargain bin acquisition – worst case scenario, it’s unlistenable trashy trance)…

here's one of the songs off the SoulWax album, which I first heard at Burning Man this year out at Opulent Temple...



postdata:
...listening back to one of the Ibiza compilations I picked up, I figured I ought to offer up a plug for two of my best friends, VJs who operate under the moniker Stoptime341. Chris Andrew & Audrey Sica comprise Stoptime341, and Chris has spent the last 4 or 5 years touring the world as DJ Tiesto's videographer/live VJ. I bring this up because Tiesto is one of the recent architects of the sound of Ibiza, which colors a lot of the dance music coming out of Europe. He's also repeatedly been ranked by countless magazines as the world's best DJ, whatever that means... If you like trance music, Tiesto is the epicenter of it, but if you prefer music that's a little less...eurotrashy, for lack of a better word, then Tiesto's probably not even on your radar... Regardless, Ibiza is one of several largely autonomous islands off the coast of Spain, in the Mediterranean, and it's a Mecca for club kids worldwide. Like Miami and Goa, it's one of the epicenters of trance music and a haven for emergence of House and Trance as global Here's one of Tiesto's promo videos promoting one of his latest residencies in Ibiza...

No comments:

Post a Comment