Thursday, May 7, 2009

a passage from Orwell's Homage to Catalonia...











Here's a little passage from Homage To Catalonia, George Orwell's 1938 account of fighting as a Republican anti-fascist international volunteer during the early years of the Spanish Civil War... I read this a long time ago but it's stayed with me, as much of Orwell's work tends to do, seeing as how he was so far ahead of his time... I have to admit, though, that until recently, I had no idea Franco stayed in power for quite so long...lordy...40+ years till 1977!... I offer this up because I'm just appreciating how turbulent the 20th century was for this very old nation with its very ancient institutions...

"...There was no more to be said; it was time to part. Both of us bowed slightly. And then there happened a strange and moving thing. The little officer hesitated a moment, then stepped across, and shook hands with me.

I do not know if I can bring home to you how deeply that action touched me. It sounds a small thing, but it was not. You have got to realize what was the feeling of the time--the horrible atmosphere of suspicion and hatred, the lies and rumours circulating everywhere, the posters screaming from the hoardings that I and everyone like me was a Fascist spy. And you have got to remember that we were standing outside the Chief of Police's office, in front of that filthy gang of tale-bearers and agents provocateurs, any one of whom might know that I was 'wanted' by the police. It was like publicly shaking hands with a German during the Great War. I suppose he had decided in some way that I was not really a Fascist spy; still, it was good of him to shake hands.

I record this, trivial though it may sound, because it is somehow typical of Spain--of the flashes of magnanimity that you get from Spaniards in the worst of circumstances. I have the most evil memories of Spain, but I have very few bad memories of Spaniards. I only twice remember even being seriously angry with a Spaniard, and on each occasion, when I look back, I believe I was in the wrong myself. They have, there is no doubt, a generosity, a species of nobility, that do not really belong to the twentieth century. It is this that makes one hope that in Spain even Fascism may take a comparatively loose and bearable form. Few Spaniards possess the damnable efficiency and consistency that a modern totalitarian state needs..."

No comments:

Post a Comment